Thursday, March 22, 2012

Re Planning: Breakfast


One meal that has been hardest for me to rethink is breakfast.  I love breakfast...I love breakfast foods...I love eating breakfast foods for supper! LOL

For us, we'd always been a typical family.  Breakfast consisted of pancakes (smothered in butter and Aunt Jemima/Mrs. Butterworth/or any other high fructose corn syrup concoction), scrambled eggs, bacon, fried potato hash browns, and coffee.  There is nothing better that sleeping in on Saturday mornings, and then lazily making my way to the kitchen to assemble this spread.

Not only did I overeat, but I felt absolutely sick afterwards...it made me want to go back to bed and be lazy for the rest of the day.  After our big switch to a plant-based, vegan-ish diet, this was definitely going to be off limits!

Now, we wake up and put together a slightly different meal.  Instead of Hungry Jack instant pancakes, I use a boxed Buckwheat Pancake mix with almond milk, coconut oil and natural applesauce.  Instead of bacon, we used veggie sausage and fresh fruit.  I still have my coffee, but replaced my creamer with coconut creamer (i've used stevia for years and years, so that stays! :)  And goodbye HFCS, hello maple :)

All in all, I can eat less and feel full quicker and longer!  I have more energy when I start my day off right.  I'm learning to like and try things that I normally wouldn't...it's been a fun ride so far :)

No comments:

Post a Comment