Monday, April 2, 2012

Recipe: Hearty Bean Burgers

 Recipe by Vegan Grub was found here.

This was one of the first meat replacements we tried.  Kyle really liked it, I thought it was "ok".  Given this was eaten in the first day or two of our big switch, I had steak and chicken fresh on my brain.  If I were to fix it again today, I would probably eat two! LOL

I really liked the fact that is was minimally processed.  Would a Boca Burger taste better?  Heck yeah-but those too are processed heavily.  I went into this whole thing saying I wanted to avoid a lot of processed food, and those were included.  Now, I believe they are WAAAAAAY better than a big hunk of beef, but I still don't want to get into the habit of living on Garden Burgers or Morning Star items.  In moderation, they are fine!


Hearty Bean Burgers
Makes about 4 burgers.


1 generous cup cooked kidney beans
½ cup rolled oats (not instant)
2 tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce, or to taste
¼ tsp garlic powder
few drops Colgin liquid smoke (optional)
expeller-pressed canola oil, for skillet
1 small red onion sliced into rings for topping


Drain and mash kidney beans.
Add oats.
Add soy sauce and garlic powder. If using, add about 3 drops of Colgin liquid smoke.
Mix thoroughly.
Chill 20 minutes in fridge to firm up, unless beans were stored in fridge and pre-chilled.


Make patties.
Pan-fry in oiled skillet.
Brown both sides.
Top with raw or stir-fried onions.


Serve on artisan bread smothered with Vegenaise mayo and Dijon mustard or other condiments. If you’re one of those folks who thinks cayenne hot sauce should be spattered on everything, you’re right and this is no exception.


Invent dozens of new variations, such as adding chopped baby portobello mushrooms or 1 tablespoon of barbecue sauce to the bean mixture. Portobellos provide a deep, rich flavor. By using kidney beans and rolled oats as the basic foundation for homemade burgers, the possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment