Thursday, April 5, 2012

Recipe: Curried Pumpkin Soup

Ingredients:

3T Earth Balance Spread
2 Granny Smith Apples (peeled, cored, and chopped)
1 onion (chopped)
2 c Pumpkin Puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling-just the canned pumpkin)
1T curry powder
1T brown sugar
3 c vegetable stock
1/2 c white wine (i used cooking wine)
1.5 c almond milk (I used coconut milk)
S/P to taste
2T toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish

*NOTE* The original recipe also calls for 1/4 evaporated cane sugar-I found the soup WAAAY too sweet this time.  Flavor was great, but it was super sweet.  I couldn't eat another serving.  I will not use sugar in it all all next time!!!

Directions:

-Melt butter over medium heat.  Add apple and onion.  Cook until soft (About 8 minutes)  Add pumpkin puree, curry, and sugar.  Cook 2 minutes.

-Add stock and wine.  Increase heat and bring to boil.  Reduce to low, partially cover, and simmer 20 minutes.  

-Remove from heat, transfer half of soup to blender/food processor.  Pour in bowl, and blend remaining soup.  Bring back to pot when all soup is blended.  Add milk and heat.  

*Instead of burning my hand off trying to remove soup and use the food processor, I just used my immersion blender!  This will save time and pain! LOL

-Pour into serving bowls and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds (pepitas).  Was great served with French bread!


No comments:

Post a Comment